Payroll Tax

Payroll taxes are levied against employee wages and salaries to fund social insurance schemes. The majority of taxpayers will be familiar with payroll taxes by looking at their paystubs at the conclusion of each pay period, where it is plainly stated how much payroll tax was deducted from their income by their employer.

The largest payroll taxes in the United States are 12.4 percent for Social Security and 2.9 percent for Medicare, for a combined rate of 15.3 percent. Employers remit half of the payroll taxes (7.65%), while the other half is withheld from employees’ paychecks.

Despite the fact that employers pay nearly half of payroll taxes, the economic burden of payroll taxes is carried primarily by workers in the form of lower earnings.

The tax laws are very complex. Our short blog articles cannot cover in full all the nuances of the rules. Your specific facts may hold various opportunities and possible risks that only trained, experienced, and highly qualified tax specialists can spot. We encourage you to find such help, rather than trying to figure it all out on your own. Consider giving this marketplace a try by posting your project and signing up here.

If you are a licensed tax professional and are interested in helping others either part or full-time, or ad hoc, come on in! Happy to have you. Our marketplace has the full suite of tools to communicate with clients including compliance calendars, task and message management, and billing. You can also quickly connect to knowledgeable colleagues who can complement your services with the ones you do not provide. Register here.